HISTORY OF DAYTON GLADE RUN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Dayton Glade Run Presbyterian Church was the first church organized east of the Allegheny River, within the limits of Armstrong County and has been a parent church from which various members of Concord, Millville, Rural Valley, and Smicksburg Presbyterian congregations have originated. The first worship service was held in the barn of William Marshall as early as 1803 conducted by the Rev. Robert McGarragh, a circuit-riding preacher. The church was known first as the “Cowanshannock Presbyterian Church” and the name was later changed to Glade Run Presbyterian Church for the stream running close by the church.
The four founding families were: William Marshall, James Kirkpatrick, William Kirkpatrick and William Shields. The original two acres of land was located on a hilltop over-looking Glade Run stream purchased from Mr. Lewis of Philadelphia for $10. The first meeting house was constructed of hewn logs in 1821 and replaced with a later one within 10 years. In 1857 the present church building was built with major renovations in 1961 and 1995.
The Church’s Academy building was initially built in 1851 to house a nondenominational school, allowing students to enter education, law, medicine and the ministry mission fields and closed in 1895. Presently it contains the church office and serves as a meeting place for both church events and community events.
In 1973, the Dayton United Presbyterian Church merged with Glade Run and the name was changed to Dayton Glade Run Presbyterian Church to reflect this union.
Our church continues to serve its congregation, and provide support through our Mission Committee, locally, nationally and internationally.
PASTORS SERVING OUR CHURCH…
Rev Robert McGarragh – Circuit Pastor 1803 Rev. David Barclay – 1820-1827
Rev. Elisha Dow Barrett – 1828-1840 Rev James Mason – 1843-1848
Rev. Cochran Forbes – 1849-1856 Dr. G.W. Mechlin -1857-1892
Rev. S.R. Frazier – 1894 Dr. George Washington McIntyre -1895-1942
Rev. Thoburn R.R. Stull – 1943-1971 Rev. F. Earle Stetler – 1972-1982
Rev. Karl R. Viernstein – 1983-1996 Dr. Donald M. Rising- 1998-2007
Rev. Laurie Milligan – 2009 – 2011 Pastor Sheila Wadding – 2015-Present